Happy Halloween! Before you head out to stock up on toilet paper, Ivory soap, and shaving cream for decorating your neighborhood, relax this afternoon with a few good reads:
- The Seminary Co-op Bookstore on the University of Chicago campus is having a midlife crisis. It turns 50 next year and will be moving, presumably to a swinger's condo building with a pool and shuffleboard court.
- So you want to get a PhD in the humanities?
- TQO contributor Antonya Nelson writes about buying half of an abandoned mining town in Colorado.
- Dave Eggers can draw too. Of course he can.
- "Could care less" vs "Couldn't care less." Discuss.
- Teaching writers to accept uncertainty.
- An unpublished short story supposedly by David Foster Wallace surfaces on Tumblr, right next to all the Lady Gaga Halloween costume photos and Arcade Fire concert videos.
- And since I brought it up, if you're going to TP a house, you might as well do it right.
Have a good weekend.