The summer is coming to an end, your baseball team is fading fast, and the kids are going back to school. You need something to read.
- Is telling an aspiring writer to give up the dream sage advice, or mean-spirited bluffing to ice the competition?
- Students in China and Japan keep handwritten diaries because they're afraid computer use and texting will make them forget how to write.
- If You Give a Mouse a Cookie as an anti-immigration screed.
- More than 50% of journals now accept electronic submissions.
- Apple has built ePub formatting into its iWork office tools, including Pages, their word processor. Expect this to be coming to Microsoft Office soon, and then everybody can publish books. Yay!
- Someday we'll get all these death of publishing articles out of our systems.
- Just not today.
- And finally, behind the Franzenfreude.
For more quick hits during the week, follow us on Twitter. Have a good weekend.